Happy Cyber-Monday, readers! Today, a look at some fast facts about that PubSmart conference we recently announced. Remember, as part of the team producing this inaugural event, our Winner Circle members get $50 off their registration. Email us at email@example.com for your promo code!
What is PubSmart?
An unprecedented gathering of industry professionals, some of the smartest on the planet, and representing the broad range of publishing opportunities today – self publishing, traditional or hybrid. PubSmart gives authors the inside track to make a smart decision about their publishing needs.
Where is PubSmart?
Francis Marion Hotel, Charleston, SC. (With a special room rate of $199 at this opulent landmark on Charleston’s peninsula).
When is PubSmart?
April 16-18, 2014, just 141 days from today!
Who Should Attend:
- Traditionally published authors who want to improve sales and discover new markets and avenues for their work
- Self-published authors who want to reach more readers
- Aspiring authors seeking guidance from industry professionals
- Independent publishers who want to better serve their authors and improve their performance
What You Will Learn:
- How editors/agents can help further your publishing goals
- Steps to build your author platform, brand and persona
- Insights from publishing professionals including successful authors, agents, editors, designers, marketers and social media gurus
- Where book publishing and marketing is headed in the digital era
- How to build sales and buzz through reviewers, mass media and book clubs
- Today’s methods of raising funds, using book discoverability tools and increasing distribution
What Folks Are Saying:
- From keynote Jane Friedman – “I’m always excited to speak at conferences with a business focus, where authors are educated and empowered to make the best decisions for the long term of their careers.”
- From keynote Hugh Howey – “I can’t wait for PubSmart and the unparalleled opportunity to catch up on recent developments in this ever-changing industry of ours. Conferences like PubSmart remind us of the need to continue sharing and learning from one another.”
- From industry pundit Porter Anderson – “PubSmart may be creating something we’ve needed to see much more of: a conference in which not only business-conscious authors but also smaller publishing companies can start doing the logical networking they’ve needed: with each other.”
- From Where Writers Win’s Shari Stauch – “What’s critical to us is to bring together insiders who can really speak to authors and small publishers and give them the tools to be in the driver’s seat with their own publishing strategies.”
- From Bublish founder and PubSmart co-founder Kathy Meis – “You only need to attend a few big publishing conferences to understand that there’s a desperate need for a top-notch conference tailored to the business questions of authors and small publishers.”
The lines have blurred in today’s publishing world, between self and traditional publishing, between print and digital distribution, between traditional and online marketing. Conferences dealing with the “tech” side of the business aren’t reaching out to authors and small publishers. Writers conferences are dealing with craft and trying to “get a deal” but not quite covering the various avenues an author or small publisher can take to bring a book to market, and to sell it once it’s there.
PubSmart will serve the needs of emerging authors, from seeking agent representation or legal insights before embarking on their book project, to fundraising for a book project, to choosing the right publishing outlet(s) to strategic marketing of a book. The assembled faculty has been chosen for both their expertise in their respective fields –whether agents, editors, publishers, publicists, attorneys or author service CEOs– and for their generosity of spirit. Attendees will walk away with a wealth of knowledge they won’t find anywhere else, an idea of how they want to publish their own work, and the tools they’ll need to do that successfully.
Charleston is the glistening jewel in the southeast crown, and the southeast has become a vibrant hub for publishing in the digital era. The famed Francis Marion hotel, built in 1924 during the golden age of authors including F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway, celebrates its 90th birthday in 2014 but retains a historic feel on Charleston’s peninsula. It’s the perfect setting for a conference ushering in the new golden era of authors! Sightseeing opportunities abound in this historic city, too, from views of the stunning Ravenel Bridge from the College of Charleston Arena observation deck where attendees are invited to “Meet Charleston” at an opening cocktail reception, to horse-drawn carriage tours of the city…
Brought to You By…
The first annual PubSmart conference is sponsored by CreateSpace, Kindle Direct Publishing, Where Writers Win, Bublish, Kobo Writing Life, College of Charleston, Pubslush, Independent Book Publishers Association, Rocket Science Productions and Bibliolabs. These sponsors and several more will also exhibit at the conference, allowing attendees an opportunity to browse publishing and digital discovery zones.
For more information, including a full schedule events and registration details, visit http://pubsmartcon.com. Early registration officially opened November 15 and closes February 1st, 2014 or when sold out. Space is limited, (hint – it WILL sell out) so reserve your spot for this groundbreaking event early.