The Goodreads giveaway program has given away more than 200,000 books since its inception. According to Goodreads, the giveaway program is heavily trafficked by members, and an average of 825 people enter to win any given giveaway!
Holding a giveaway is a terrific way to generate interest in a new title and attract new readers to your work. Giveaways are simple, popular, and very powerful if planned correctly.
Here are some tips to make sure your next giveaway is a success, and make sure you check out Goodreads’ own SLIDE SHOW of tips, too.
1. Start by offering just one book. That way you can measure response and give more books away, one by one, over a length of time.
2. Make sure you make your book giveaway one that includes an AUTOGRAPHED copy. Put that information prominently in the description; an autographed copy always has more value.
3. Visit the books on giveaway already at Goodreads, both to gather intel on how others are doing it, and to verify that the date you choose isn’t one everyone else has chosen so you have the maximum potential for exposure.
4. Make your description interesting. Mention awards, use blurbs – you need to motivate potential readers to sign up!
5. Congratulate winners right away, and reach out to all entries to let them know a winner has been chosen but you’d still love them to read your words.
Once your giveaway is complete, send your book immediately so you have a better (and faster) chance of a good review from your winning reader!
Tell us if you’ve done something unique to make your own Goodreads giveaway stand out!