Our thanks to Kiffer Brown of Chanticleer Book Reviews for this guest post. Shown at right, best-selling author Joanna Penn.
I had the pleasure and the good fortune to attend the 2015 PubSense Summit in Charleston, South Carolina. Attending the sessions and presentations was like drinking in information from a publishing fire hose!
Information was emanating from some of the brightest stars in today’s publishing world, stars like Joanna Penn. Joanna is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, voted one of The Guardian UK Top 100 Creative Professionals.
The following are just a few of the highlights of Joanna’s keynote luncheon presentation at the PubSense Summit:
Think Scalable, Think Copyright
Remember the life of an author’s works is his/her lifetime plus 70 years, thus making an author’s intellectual property a potentially valuable part of his/her estate. This is the length of time granted by the U.S. Copyright law. Create works and then make your back list work for you for years to come.
Think Multiple Income Streams
Reach different customers by exploiting all formats:
- Kobo, Smashwords, Apple, Amazon, Nook, Google Play, OutBound Words….
- Audio> ACX
- Printed Books
- Plus subsidiary rights
- Country markets
- Always be on the lookout for new avenues of distribution and publishing
- Reach customers by language: Start in English, then expand to German, then Spanish, and so on.
Remember that all these little streams of income flow into a river of revenue.
Reach customers globally by using multiple retailers
- Kobo’s platform is available in 65 countries
- iBooks are available in 51 countries
- Amazon Kindle is available in 171 countries
- Be on the lookout for new retail platforms and distributors
Think Mobile and Digital
“Between 2013 and 2017, mobile phone penetration will rise from 61.1 percent to 69.4% of the global population.” eMarketeer
Apple Carplay and Google Auto will come standard from mainstream car manufacturers before 2017.
- Make sure your website is mobile optimized with responsive design and your books can be purchased via mobile devices.
- Consider offering your works in audio format to reach a larger audience.
- Bring podcasting into your outbound marketing strategy to take advantage of this major shift.
The Virtual Reality Market is expected to grow to $407 million dollars and reach more than 25 million users by 2018 according to a recent report by Markets and Markets. This shift in technology opens up an entire new market to authors because they are no longer dependent upon brick and mortar stores and transportation highways for potential new readers to access their digital books.
Visit TheCreativePenn.com to learn more about Joanna and plenty of sage advice!
Media scout for literary agents, publishing houses, and movie producers, Kiffer Brown is known for her instinct of picking winners. She is the founder of Chanticleer Book Reviews & Media, president of Whatcom Writers and Publishers, Salish Sea League of Writers board member, Upstart Crows Writers Assoc. founder, and member of Western Washington University’s publishing curriculum’s advisory board. She presents at numerous writers conferences and book conventions.